Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Getting Back into the Swing of Things (sorta...)

This week, I decided to get back onto my old writing schedule (before the craze of summer made me forget it): 100 words a day. I know, one doesn’t make much progress with doing just 100 words, but it gets me on my project working—especially on teaching days like Tuesday where I teach almost solid 10:00-6:00. With "100 words" on my schedule, I added 834 words last week to Journey of Choice. How I see it, that’s 834 words more than if I hadn’t aimed for 100 words a day!

I think that I have worked through all of the backtracking to add some intensity to Nat’s life (since, you know, just being a soldier in the Civil War against his will isn’t enough, right?). This was one of the reasons my word count was so low—when I rewrite, I erase almost as many words as I add. But it’s all for the better and has enriched the story (in my opinion ;) ). This week, I should get to move forward!

There's my writing update. As for researching... GUESS WHAT!!!



I finished the massive 815-page Memoirs of Sherman this past week! I was teasing that after all of that reading, I should get an award, so my little sister decided to draw one for me (there's a glimpse at my fun-loving, teasing family).

That felt like such a nice mile-marker, that I decided to finish reading Arms and Equipment too (actually, I had a Louisiana trip with four hours [one way] in the car). Two research books finished in a week! I'm on a roll! ;) (and no, that's not gonna happen this week)

From Social Media
Since I'm determined not to let you guys miss out any, here's a book I found at an estate sale I went to. At $250, no, I didn't get it. But it was super cool to look at!



 Also...


Bookmarks! I currently only have bookmarks featuring "Journey to Love" (which is about 1 1/2 years old now), but I'd love to share them! If you live in the United States or Canada, just drop me an email at amandaterobooks (at) gmail (dot) com with your address and I'll send you 3-5 to keep and share.

Finally, my sister did some brain-storming for me. One of the things I'm trying to do is stay regular on social media. Like I say in the video, I'm horrible when it comes to social stuff, even on the computer (writing? Yes. Social promos? Nope! Zilch. Nada.). But her ideas? A lifesaver!!


Now... I have a whole passel of questions for you! :) I have thoroughly enjoyed hearing from you all, even though I don't regularly reply--I WILL reply, though, so if you've commented and not seen my reply, check back later!

  • Do you read any books for research? When was the last time you finished one?
  • If you're active on social media, how do you come up with fresh ideas? (or if you're just a blogger...?)
  • Does your family help with or support your business(es)?
  • Do you use bookmarks, dog-ear the page, memorize the page number, or just read straight through? 
  • Have you ever been to an estate sale?
  • Any progress on your projects this week?


10 comments:

Rebekah said...

I used to have a writing goal of 5k words a week. And then June hit. Followed by July, and now that August is almost over, I'm hardly writing at all. :( Maybe I should try 100 words a day. If I started, I'd probably end up writing more then 100 words.

It depends on what my story is about if I read any research books. When I wrote my book about WWI, I read so many books it was crazy! I knew dates and battles, and side notes of what was happening in the world, and you name it. It was fun. :)

The only social media I do is Goodreads. And blogging. And blogging idea come and go. I started jotting ideas on little sticky notes so I could move the ideas to different days to post.

Yes, my family is good at supporting me. The only thing is, I'm the only writer, and I struggle with the marketing aspect of being an indie published author.

I NEVER dog-ear pages of books! In fact, if I find a book anywhere with dog-eared pages, I try to straighten them. I use bookmarks (of all sorts), memorize the page number, or just read straight through. Of course if I'm reading something on my kindle, I don't have to do any of those as it keeps my place for me. :)

I've helped set up an estate sale with my grandma once. I might have gone to one once, years ago.

Yes, I have made progress on my projects this week. Just not on writing. :P But I need to do some writing so I can get a new ending for a Christmas story written.

There. That's a long comment. :) Enjoy it. ;) And I'll come back to read your reply later. Have fun teaching! My first writing student will be here in less than an hour.

Ryana Lynn Miller said...

1.)I think the last Research book I finished was back in May, "The South Was Right" by James and Walter Kennedy. It was very informative and was based on facts, not opinions. I'm currently wading through two research books, "To Die in Chicago" and "Jefferson Davis, American." Enjoying them both, but trying to finish the former, as it is borrowed :) But yeah, I research a lot!

2.)I'm not a social media gal, but I do have a blog. Coming up with ideas is a challenge. I make a list of ideas and pick on I like, lol! I also try to think "What kind of article do I wish I could find?" and then I try to write it. Also, I look for topics that aren't covered/covered well or need a Christian perspective on it.

3.)Yes! My family helps me with just about everything, from brainstorming, to edits, to beta-reading, to design to promotion! I've got a great support team :P

4.) BOOKMARKS! I collect them! I sometimes read straight through, depending on the book. (Binge read a 300+ page novel in one day...once) I can't stand do eared pages, but I do have one book that I dog ear and that is 1001 Ways to Market your Book By John Kremer (I think) Still working through it, so I don't have a real opinion on it yet, but they've got some neat ideas!

5.)Never been to an estate sale, but it sounds amazing! I want that book! But my budget just said no :(

6.)Major progress, Praise the Lord! Getting rid of filter words! I cut/ replaced/reworded more than I can count, but I've shortened by WIP by 2k which is great!

Anonymous said...

I have been researching medieval feasting and just medieval food in general. Believe it or not the best book I found for that was a children's story book called 'A Medieval Feast' by Aliki. It is full of information, plus a fun read and beautifully illustrated.

I am progressing on my book , but not the one I need to be finishing. Somehow this new idea popped into me head last week and I have not been able to write anything unless it was working on that.

I hate messing up book with dog-ears. I use a bookmark most of the time, but once in a while I will memorize the page number.

In Christ,
Kayla

Anonymous said...

i am on Instagram. I always use a bookmark. In fact my sisters and me collect bookmarks. Congratulations on finishing that large book concerning Isn't it exhilarating when you finally finish a large book?
Marilyn

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I do!! That's where I do 90% of my research. Have you got any research tips? I can't remember the last one I read. . . Well I just read a part from a chapter in “Our Empire Story” by H.E. Marshall about the “Birkenhead” because I was writing a story about it for a contest. ;)

~Katja L.

Amanda Tero said...

@ Rebekah - wow, 5k. On my good weeks (and good weeks only) could I hope for that. Now, I do well if I hit 1k. ;) Let me know if you try the 100/day and if that works for you. :)

WWI is a neat era. Many people are more obsessed with WWII, so you don't hear much about the first war. :)

I hear ya about blogging ideas! :) Sticky notes are wonderful. :)

Marketing... :P I think all Indie authors need to band together about it. ;)

High fives on the dog-ears. :) I'm the same way!!

I really enjoyed your long, newsy comment!! :) :) Leave them anytime. ;)

Amanda Tero said...

@ Ryana - ah, the organizer. ;) I grinned when I saw your numbered replies. Looks like something I might do. ;)

Ooh, I'm about to read "The South was Right." Well, it's either going to be that one or "Myths of American Slavery" by the same authors. You've got some interesting books on your research shelf!

I didn't use to be a social media person, but it has proven to be helpful with both my writing and music businesses. :) On my blog, I don't seem to do as much creatively (like articles and such). It's just random for me. ;)

That's wonderful all how your family helps!

Dog-earing reference books makes sense--either that, or tabbing them with sticky tabs. I've done both. :) I can't say I actively collect bookmarks, but people do tend to give them to me for "some reason." ;)

Yep, exactly what my budget said. ;)

Hurray on your major progress!! :) It's funny, because I think I usually have to ADD words to my edits. I tend to go more barebones (hence I've only published novellas to date).

Amanda Tero said...

@ Kayla - I love medieval!! I have about a dozen books that I've collected but since I'm not currently writing in that era, I've not been reading them. Sometimes children's books are the most helpful!

Oh, those ideas. ;) Know how that goes!!

Ditto on dog-ears. :)

Amanda Tero said...

@ Marilyn - do I follow you? (if not, please send me a DM -- I lose track of who I do and don't follow)

It is definitely exhilarating to finish a huge book. Good word choice!

Amanda Tero said...

@ Katja - hmm... research tips... the best would probably be to take good notes and to organize by date, subject, and people. :) And then, author Roseanna White once said that she doesn't get too lost in research--for example, she'll spend about a month doing heavy research then writes (now, that's more her "in-line" job than mine is; I can't dedicate a month to research because writing is a side-thing). It's true, you can never stop researching. But as a writer, there comes a point when you need to cease researching and just write. On that line, though, I have found that it's helpful to continue researching as I write. It keeps my brain in the era. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...